Thursday, June 24, 2010

Who Is the Boss?

WORK is necessary for a writer to become successful.

No DUH!

But have you ever heard this before:


writers hate to write,

but love to have written?


I’m not saying this applies to you or me, but there are some writers for whom this does apply. They are writers who struggle with being their own boss. They let every little distraction take them away from their work. You’ve heard the excuses: the house is dirty, weeds are in the garden, kids need my attention, husband keeps interrupting, I just don’t have time to write, and on and on it goes. Some of these are good excuses. I've used them myself, so I understand. Really I do!




But what some writers forget is...

they are the boss of their writing careers.

It is up to them to set the pace. 

It is up to them to get the product finished. 

And it is up to them to see their dreams come true…or not.


Are you going to dream about being a writer?

Or are you going to work at becoming an author?

12 comments:

  1. Good point! I am going to Work at becoming an Author, even if that means staying up intil 1 o'clock tonight to finish my Last Scene.

    Thanks for reminding me that I do need to Work and not just Dream :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been self-employed for eleven years, so I knew going in what it took to be an author. The great part about it - you're the boss, you decide what to do. The sucky part about it - you're the boss, you decide what to do!

    If it's a burning desire, one finds a way...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post and a timely reminder that we are in control of our writing universe..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent advice. It is so easy to get sidetracked with the kids, the work, the farm, the...the...the everything. Dan Wells said that if "you don't have time (to write), it's not a scheduling problem, it's a value issue."

    Thanks for the follow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so true. I think we all need to remember this, I know I do. It's easy to fall into a slump of doing next to nothing on your writing and putting all free time into something else. The thing is, at the end of the day you can social network/blog/FB/other your face off, but without that awesome novel...it's not going to do much good.

    Hugs and thanks for the kick in the pants!

    Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great advice. I think it is easy to become distracted (myself included) because of the kids, house, etc. I'm working as hard as I can right now.
    Trying to set my pace is the hardest part.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 當一個人內心能容納兩樣相互衝突的東西,這個人便開始變得有價值了。............................................................

    ReplyDelete